Chief Financial Officer –
Application deadline: 17 June 2022
UCLB is responsible for the creation and scaling of commercial ventures that are translating the work of academics within UCL, one of the world’s leading universities into innovations that deliver substantive impact endpoints. UCLB is recognised globally as a leading IP commercialisation company which is built upon an impressive and successful track record of creating licences and spinouts based on UCL’s intellectual property for almost 30 years.
Recent successes include the listing on NASDAQ of gene therapy focused spinouts such as Autolus, Orchard Therapeutics and Freeline Therapeutics together with trade sales of engineering focused spinouts such as Senceive and Satalia.
These opportunities typify how UCLB works with academic founders, management teams and investors to bring pioneering technologies from the laboratory to market, tackling global and socially relevant challenges across sectors ranging from energy and engineering to healthcare and the environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsibility for the management of the financial affairs of UCLB through the further development and provision of efficient and effective financial systems, modelling, budgeting, forecasting and reporting, ensuring proper governance, risk and business planning within the company.
- Responsibility for reporting to the UCLB Board and UCL’s Director of Finance on all financial aspects of UCLB activity.
- To build and maintain collaborative relationships in respect of financial aspects with a range of UCL stakeholders (e.g. UCL Innovation and Enterprise, UCL Finance Division etc.), ensuring all reporting and support requirements are met.
- To build and maintain key external relationships including those with fund managers, banks, auditors and other investors.
- To work collaboratively with UCLB colleagues to develop initiatives which can assist in the company achieving its growth aspirations.
Competency Requirements & Professional qualifications:
- A qualified accountant with a recognised professional qualification.
- An experienced FD/CFO with a background working within high-growth/innovative environments, corporate finance and/or with experience of fund raising.
- A highly-skilled communicator with a strong track record of building effective internal and external networks.
- Strong leader of people with ability to challenge and develop team members.
- An analytical thinker who can provide the board with in-depth analysis to support informed decision making.
- Energised by a highly entrepreneurial environment and able to work collaboratively to deliver best practice and change where needed.
- Demonstrable ability to translate external and/or technical requirements into practical solutions.
UCLB is keen to consider candidates looking for either a full or part-time position, and is happy to discuss flexible working options. For the position of CFO, you will also qualify for a generous pension scheme including death in service cover, 25 days annual leave + 6 days for University Close days (across Christmas and Easter) and up to 10% PRP.
If you would like to discuss your suitability for this position, or to request a copy of the detailed candidate pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All enquiries will be kept confidential.
To apply for this position please send your CV to email@example.com with reference ‘UCLB’ in the subject.
UCL Business Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.